|Does Chase's shirt make me|
(1) Uh, come again?
Yep. I strongly touted "No Kids. Ever." early in marriage. Then begrudgingly changed my tune to One and Done when pregnant with the birth of Chase. So I understand the head scratching. The new (and final) mantra is Two and We're Through.
(2) Who cares.
Beyond grandparents, not many get excited when hearing another baby is on the way. You aren't excited to learn -- let alone remember -- another name.
So while you may not care (and probably stopped reading long ago), it is surprising how much thought goes into deciding to have a second. On one hand, there is the advantage of knowing what to expect. On the other hand, there is the disadvantage of knowing what to expect.
So we are preparing for our new roles as "referee" (Chase! Stop poking the Baby. CHASE. No hitting...) as it was determined the pros outweighed the cons of financial burden, overwhelming exhaustion, and constant worrying. And don't try consoling us with the "second-baby-isn't-much-more-expensive" argument. Our new home search says baby 2 is definitely upping overall expenses.
Below are some FAQ for your reference:
- Due Date? September 20 (they will be about 2 years apart)
- Gender? In a few months we will know whether Mom is outnumbered and in need of a "ladies den" -- a nice room with bottomless martinis and a TV incapable of broadcasting sports or playing video games.
- Preference? Now I kinda want another boy to secure my ladies den....
- Name? One is heavily favored, but not to be shared until it's inked on the birth certificate. If pressed, we will probably say the baby will be named after you. However, I can guarantee this is not true.
- How are you feeling? Exhausted. Creating a human is much harder when there is another one running around. I never feel caught up on sleep. Like before, Kevin feels great except for the extra burden of picking up my slack.
- Need help? Any advice on the transition is MUCH appreciated! Would prefer these kids like each other. Or if you are low on advice, we will happily accept cash instead.